This historic structure was a focal point and a center of social life for the African American Community in Cape Charles between 1928 and 1968. Beginning in 1912, the Tuskegee Normal and Industrial Institute (now Tuskegee University), Booker T. Washington, and Julius Rosenwald, a top executive at Sears Roebuck & Company, formed a collaborative to improve the quality of public education for African Americans in the South during the period of legal segregation. By the time the program ended in 1932, it had built nearly 5,000 schools.
ESLAND is investing in the restoration of this historic building.
Mimosa Farm is beautifully situated on Eyre Hall Creek near Cheriton, VA. Surrounded by 17 acres of pristine fields and woodland, this gorgeous view is permanently protected by the Nature Conservancy. This is a peaceful place, a unique property with more than 1,500 feet of waterfront access, which is home to osprey, bald eagles, and herons.
The main house was built in 1868 by Augustus Roberts. It has been restored to its original structure with exquisite architectural details such as intricate carved moldings, porcelain door knobs, and solid hardwood floors. The wide halls and spacious rooms provide a one-of-a-kind venue for special events and functions. A 4,900-square-foot barn on the edge of the creek displays solid mid-18th-century construction. Other buildings include a corn crib and an 18th-century smokehouse.
Old Mercantile Building
The Old Mercantile Building, also known as the Northampton Chamber of Commerce Building, is a historic commercial building located in Eastville, Virginia. It was built about 1816, and is a two-story, rectangular brick structure in the Federal style. The front facade is stucco with a gable roof and a fanlight window above the second-story door. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1974.
The small cottage at Sugar Run represents the first deeded property to a slave. The main house on the property was a slave quarter, which was sold to the Masons for a Masonic Theater in the late 1800s. The cottage currently serves as the office for the Northampton Historic Preservation Society.
18th Century Inspired Office
This outbuilding office on the Eyre Hall estate was designed by John Paul Hanbury, a widely respected architect based in Norfolk. The wooden floors and siding were made from trees on the property.
ESLAND repurposed this historic property on the Cherrystone Inlet in the mid-1990s, hauling away 100 truckloads of accumulation. A small office building for use by fisherman was built, along with a guest house that overlooks this beautiful point of land. Today, crew teams, fishermen, gill netters, and two aqua culture companies use the site for oyster and clam processing. Additionally Virginia Institute of Marine Science operates water quality testing at Salt Grove, studying the effects aquaculture has on the creeks and the Chesapeake Bay.
The Imperial Hotel
The Imperial Hotel is a quaint hotel in the heart of historic Chestertown, MD. It has been a gathering place for travelers and local patrons for more than a century. Over the years, the hotel was converted into apartments and small shops. In 1985, a major restoration project was initiated, and the hotel was expanded to accommodate 11 deluxe guest rooms and a one bedroom/parlor suite. A deteriorated carriage house at the rear of the property was restored into a family suite with a cathedral-ceiling living room, kitchen and dining area. The owners enlisted Eyre Baldwin, and with the Victorian Society of America and the talents of Eastern Shore crafts people, the unpretentious hotel was transformed into a Victorian jewel. The hotel now showcases the shore's heritage that balances old-world charm with modern amenities. For more information and photos, visit imperialchestertown.com.
Jacaranda is a beachfront villa located on Mustique, a private Caribbean island with beautiful rocky headlands, dramatic topography and nine white sandy beaches. ESLAND recently renovated Jacaranda, creating a sophisticated yet airy and tropical vacation destination just steps from the beach on L’Ansecoy Bay.
Named after the Goddess of the Sea, this 24,000-square-foot home is built on a seven-acre parcel on volcano rock. Manolo Mestre designed the sophisticated private residence with multiple levels and secluded hideaways 300 feet above the sea. The landscape design was done by award-winning designer, Cecilia de Grelle.